The Supreme Court is set to hear two cases determining whether government officials can block their social media critics without violating the First Amendment. The cases involve California residents Christopher and Kimberly Garnier, who were blocked by school district members, and Michigan resident Kevin Lindke, who a city manager blocked. Previous rulings have been based on whether officials use their accounts for official activities. Still, the Supreme Court’s decision could establish a definitive precedent on the matter, potentially forcing government figures to allow criticism on social media as long as it doesn’t constitute harassment or threats. In this humble court of personal opinion, I feel that if you’re an elected official, you have the right not to listen but not the right to block people from saying what they want.
Subscribe to the Newsletter.
Join the Chat @ GeekNews.Chat
Email Todd or follow him on Facebook.
Like and Follow Geek News Central Facebook Page.
Geek Central Discord Channel
Download the Audio Show File
$0.01 GoDaddy coupon for a New domain name cjcfs3geek
$1.99 a month Economy Hosting with a free domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1h
$2.99 a month Managed WordPress Hosting with free Domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1w
Support the show by becoming a Geek News Central Insider
- 21:06–Google I/O 2023
- 21:55–Travelers used to catch helicopters taxis
- 25:21–BeReal says it has more than 20 million daily active users
- 26:59–Sega of America workers are forming a union
- 16:08–Berkeley researchers deploy robots
- 19:50–Tesla to begin Cybertruck deliveries
- 27:59–Grad student helps design “artificial muscles.”
- 30:06–Disney begins the second round of job cuts
- 30:50–Getty Images and Trillium
- A Japanese company is attempting a Moon landing
- Bored Ape Yacht Club creator wins lawsuit
- Are mandatory blue checks illegal?
- Amazon drivers in California join a union.
- 31:54–Californians have bought more than 1.5 million electric vehicles.
- 38:35–Twitter claims dead celebrities are subscribing to Twitter Blue
- 37:18–Chromebooks’ short lifespan
- 13:15–Supreme Court will decide if government officials can block social media
- Microsoft will reportedly unbundle Teams from Office.