Robert Metcalfe, co-inventor of Ethernet and namesake of Metcalfe’s law, has been awarded the prestigious Turing Award for his groundbreaking work in the 1970s. Metcalfe and the late David Boggs developed the first Ethernet at Xerox’s Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) to connect Alto personal computers and laser printers. The technology quickly became the foundation of modern data communication and is still widely used today. With an estimated 7 billion Ethernet ports worldwide, Metcalfe’s contributions have impacted global communication infrastructure. The Turing Award comes with a $1 million prize, financially supported by Google. It’s nice to see these icons get awards for their work that has significantly impacted mankind—a well-deserving award.
Subscribe to the Newsletter.
Join the Chat @ GeekNews.Chat
Email Todd or follow him on Facebook.
Like and Follow Geek News Central Facebook Page.
Geek Central Discord Channel
Download the Audio Show File
$0.01 GoDaddy coupon for a New domain name cjcfs3geek
$1.99 a month Economy Hosting with a free domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1h
$2.99 a month Managed WordPress Hosting with free Domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1w
Support the show by becoming a Geek News Central Insider
- 31:20–TikTok CEO testifies before Congress
- 35:31–How and where to buy refurbished tech online
- 37:32–An air taxi route at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport
- 38:39–Stop hackers from taking over your Android
- 40:24–Who invented the laptop?
- 41:50–Ingenuity’s helicopter’s 48th flight
- 42:33–Adobe and its Figma deal
- 44:04–Watch likely Chinese rocket burn up over Texas
- 44:46–Relativity Space had a successful fail
- 45:52–Ford will lose $3 billion
- 47:22–These US cities are leading EV adoption
- 48:16–America needs immigration reform
- 29:27–Journalists targeted bu USB drives that exploded in PC’s
- 56:01–The SEC charged a crypto CEO
- 49:47–The Northern Lights could dazzle the skies
- 50:43–AI finds the first stars
- 26:41–Tech makers must provide repairs for up to 10 years
- 51:54–Attackers hit Bitcoin ATMs
- 24:35–Turing Award goes to Robert Metcalfe
- 23:03–The FTC wants to make it easier for you to cancel subscriptions
- Linus Tech Tips was hacked
- 53:03–OpenAI connects ChatGPT to the internet
- 53:40–Amazon driver delivers package during a police standoff
- 54:29– An asteroid will soar between Earth and the Moon
- 55:20–FTX will recover assets