Apple has launched Apple Music TV, a free 24-hour curated livestream of popular music videos that will also include “exclusive new music videos and premiers, special curated music video blocks, and live shows as well as chart countdowns and guests”, according to the announcement.
- Listen Now is the easiest way to play what you love and discover something new.
- An all-new Search serves up the best music for the genres and activities you love.
- Autoplay creates a continuous stream of music based on what you listened to last.
- Sing along, tap ahead, or just listen with lyrics view – now always on unless you turn it off.
- Tune into three live radio stations hosted by artists playing today’s hits, classics, and country.
- Dial in local broadcast radio stations by call sign, name, or frequency – or just ask Siri
- Watch top music videos and check out curated music video playlists.
- Now you can search for music by lyrics right in the app – or just ask Siri.
- Tap into Apple editors’ picks with curated playlists featuring rap to country, new hits to classics.
- Keep track of what’s hot all over the world with global charts.
- Just ask Siri to play songs by any artist, mood, or genre.
- Play your favorite artist’s latest collaborations, releases, and playlists all from one page.
- Add your favorite songs to your library and listen on any device – online or off.
- Stream Apple Music to AirPlay-enabled speakers or Apple TV effortlessly.
To me, this sounds like it could be Apple’s way of competing with Spotify, which has become the go-to for listening to music. Spotify has a free service, as well as a subscription service. Apple Music TV offers Apple Music, Apple Music Hits, and Apple Music Country for free without a subscription.
There are three subscriptions for Apple Music TV. Student is $4.99/month. (It is for college students only, and verification is required). Individual plans are $9.99/month. Family plans are $14.99/month. Variety reported that Apple Music TV will be available to U.S. residents only on the Apple Music app and the Apple TV app.