People who purchased a new Apple device from September 2019 were automatically eligible for a free year of Apple TV+, 9To5Mac reported. Those free trials were set to expire at the end of October 19, 2020. People who bought a new Apple device within that timeframe will have their Apple TV+ free subscription extended through February 2021.
TechCrunch provided details on this deal:
- If your Apple TV+ subscription ends on November 1, 2020, through January 31 of 2021, Apple is extending the free year to your sub date in February of 2021.
- The yearly subscriber extension applies to people who subbed prior to January 31, 2020.
- If your sub was set to end November 15th, 2020, then your first billing date would now be February 15th, 2020.
- If people signed up for subs without a new device purchase during that same date period, they will also get their free subscription extended through February 2021.
- If you have signed up for a monthly subscription before November 1, 2020, you’ll get a $4.99 credit per month.
- The new device program where you get a year of Apple TV+ free will still continue.
- Customers will get emails about this.
It is always nice to get something for free! The timing of the freebie puts it right into the holiday season when the weather is getting colder and people tend to want to stay indoors. Typically, people tend to travel during the holidays, but that might not be a good idea this year because of COVID-19. Those who are eligible for the extended Apple TV+ free trial will have something interesting to watch while stuck at home.