Microsoft introduced its Microsoft Defender. It is a new Microsoft 365 online security app for you and your family.
Everyone deserves to feel safe online. Securing your personal data and devices is more challenging than ever, increasing malicious threats, more time online, and many connected personal devices can leave us feeling vulnerable. It’s time for online security that provides simplified and secure protection to meet you where you are.
Microsoft Defender for Individuals is a new security app designed to keep individuals and families safer online. Available for Microsoft 365 Personal and Family subscribers starting on June 16, 2022, Microsoft Defender helps simplify your online security through one, unified view into your family’s protections, across your personal phones and computers.
The footnotes attached to parts of that paragraph include: “App requires a Microsoft 365 Family or Personal subscription, and is available as a separate download.” A second footnote says: “App is available on Windows, macOS, Android, and iOS in select Microsoft 356 Family or Personal billing regions.”
Microsoft says that Microsoft Defender extends the production already built into Windows Security beyond your PC to your macOS, iOS, and Android devices. This, too, comes with a footnote which says: “New malware protection is not available where these protections exist in iOS and Windows”. Yet another footnote says: “Security tips are available on Windows and macOS only.”
Corporate Vice President, Security, Compliance, Identity and Management, Vasu Jakkal, wrote a post titled: “Making the world a safer place with Microsoft Defender for individuals”. Here are some key points from that post:
What does Microsoft Defender Do?
Microsoft Defender is simplified online security that meets you and your family where you are by bringing multiple protections together into a single dashboard. It provides online protection across the devices you and your family use. It offers tips and recommendations to strengthen your protection further. And, as you grow your digital footprint by adding family members and devices, Defender grows with you and keeps your defenses up-to-date using trusted technology.
- This seamless solution, which includes continuous antivirus and anti-phishing protection for your data and devices, will enable you to:
- Manage your security protections and view security protections for everyone in your family, from a singe, easy-to-use, centralized dashboard.
- View your existing antivirus protection (such as Norton or McAfee). Defender recognizes these protections within the dashboard.
- Extend Windows device protections to iOS, Android, and macOS devices for cross-platform malware protection on the devices you and your family use the most.
- Receive instant security alters, resolution strategies, and expert tips to help keep your data and devices secure.
Personally, I am pleasantly surprised that Microsoft is extending Microsoft Defender to not only people who use PCs and Android devices, but also to those of us who use macOS and iOS devices. It is unusual for a tech company to extend its security protections to those outside of its “universe” of products.