Pokémon GO announced an upcoming update that could potentially affect your ability to continue playing Pokémon GO. Players are warned that Pokémon GO will discontinue support for Apple devices that are not capable of upgrading to iOS 11.
This change is a result of improvements to Pokémon GO that push the application beyond the capabilities of the operating systems on such devices. This change will take effect on 02/28/2018. After that date, Trainers using affected devices may no longer be able to access their Pokémon GO accounts from that device, or use their PokéCoins or other items in their Bags.
If the Apple device you play Pokémon GO on is affected by this change, and you want to keep playing the game, you will need to switch to a device that can upgrade to iOS 11.
Pokémon GO has more specific information about devices that it will discontinue supporting. They include:
- iPhone 5c – released in 2013 – Model numbers A1456, A1507, A1516, A1532
- iPhone 5 – released in 2012 – Model numbers A1428, A1429, A1442
- iPad (4th generation) – released late 2012 – Model numbers A1458, A1459, A1460
- iPad (3rd generation) – released early 2012 – Model numbers A1416, A1430, A1403
- iPad mini (1st generation) – released late 2012 – Model numbers A1432, A1454, A1455
- iPad2 – released 2011 – Model numbers A1395, A1396, A1397