Horseware Ireland, the leading branded horse blanket company and Taoglas, a leading provider of next-generation IoT solutions, announced the ground-breaking Horsepal Edge solution powered by Taoglas, at CES.
The Horsepal Edge is a market-leading Internet of Things (IoT) solution for the equestrian industry and represents the next generation in the Horsepal series. Building on the success of the original Horsepal, the Horsepal Edge enables a “connected horse,” allowing health, activity and behavior to be monitored in real time. Metrics include motion detection, movement style, sleep tracking and more.
The Horsepal Edge ensures professional knowledge to optimize the wellness and performance of the horse through evaluation and management of activity, rest, sleep and environment.
Speaking on the inspiration behind the new Horsepal Edge, Horseware Ireland Founder and Executive Chairman Tom MacGuinness stated, “Having real-time data and a more holistic view of horse health and activity is something our industry has been lacking for ages. Digital transformation with 24/7 monitoring will help horse owners make more informed decisions about health, exercise and care and will ultimately lead to improved health and life of the horse. When we saw the need in the market, we decided to develop a solution from the ground up!”
The Horsepal Edge is powered by Taoglas’ EDGE Connect, a next-generation IoT hardware and software platform that provides full cellular, Bluetooth and GPS capabilities with heart rate and activity monitoring – all from an ultra low-power device. The Taoglas EDGE Connect platform also provides device management, sensor management, a full IoT security stack, power management an Data-as-a-Service out of the box and is the backbone behind the new Horsepal Edge solution.
The Horsepal Edge’s key capabilities include:
- Capturing data including distance traveled by the horse, time spent grazing, gait analysis, sleep tracking, time spent standing still, etc.
- Fully operational GPS tracking for geofencing with active notifications
- An integrated heart rate monitor to assess the fitness of the horse and determine recommended activity level for optimal fitness
- A Rug Advisor with GPS and advanced temperature algorithms to advise which rug to put on the horse, factoring in the weather forecast for the next 5 days
- Multi-mode setup with sensor integration, including training mode, stable mode and vet mode
- Application including horse profile with farrier contact, veterinary contact, and ability to upload images of passports and vaccination certificates.
- Cloud-based data that can be shared across devices anywhere
- User-controlled data update frequency
- An ergonomic shape and water-resistant casing
Find out more about Horsepal Edge at the Taoglas Booth #2909 in the IoT Infrastructure Pavillion inside the Westgate at Tech East at CES.