Apple announced that the number of merchants that support Apple Pay is expanding. Apple says that seventy-four of the top 100 US merchants now accept Apple Pay.
Target, Taco Bell, Hy-Vee supermarkets in the Midwest, Speedway convenience stores and Jack in the Box are the latest merchants to support Apple Pay, the most popular mobile contactless payment system in the world that lets customers easily and securely pay in stores using their iPhone and Apple Watch. With the addition of these national retailers, 74 of the top 100 merchants and 65 percent of all retail locations in the country will support Apple Pay.
Apple Pay is rolling out to:
- All 1,850 Target locations across the US in the coming weeks.
- More than 245 Hy-Vee stores in the Midwest
- Inside the store at all 3,000 Speedway locations in the Midwest, East Coast, and Southeast
- More than 7,000 Taco Bell locations
- More than 2,200 Jack in the Box locations
This is in addition to the places that already support Apple Pay:
- Costco completed the rollout of Apple Pay to over 500 U.S. warehouses
- CVS Pharmacy introduced Apple Pay at all 8,400 stand-alone locations
- 7-Eleven launched Apple Pay at 95 percent of its US stores last year.
The expansion of where Apple Pay is accepted is good news for people who are currently using an Apple Watch or an iPhone. It makes things a bit more convenient for them.
Obviously, this expansion doesn’t do anything at all for Android users – who are unlikely to switch over just to be able to use their phones to pay for their lunch at Taco Bell or Jack in the Box. It also does nothing for people who cannot afford an iPhone.