Meta’s new application, Threads, designed to compete with Twitter, hit a record-breaking milestone with over 30 million signups on its first day of global availability. Overseen by Instagram CEO Adam Mosseri, Threads aims to integrate with the “Fediverse,” the network of decentralized services like Mastodon, powered by ActivityPub. However, Threads faces some initial challenges, including a non-chronological feed, the absence of post-editing features, and the lack of a web version. As Mosseri and his team address these issues, Meta continues to leverage its advertising prowess and scale, contrasting with Twitter and other competitors. Are we going to continue to give Meta all of our Metadata? I say enough is enough, and I will block threads if they integrate with the Fediverse—too much information in the hands of so few.
Subscribe to the Newsletter.
Join the Chat @ GeekNews.Chat
Email Todd or follow him on Facebook.
Like and Follow Geek News Central Facebook Page.
Geek Central Discord Channel
Download the Audio Show File
$0.01 GoDaddy coupon for a New domain name cjcfs3geek
$1.99 a month Economy Hosting with a free domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1h
$2.99 a month Managed WordPress Hosting with free Domain name. Promo Code: cjcgeek1w
Support the show by becoming a Geek News Central Insider
- 00:11:04 – More than 30 million new users signed up for Threads
- 00:15:29 – State Dept cancels election meetings
- 00:20:47 – NYC law on AI-based hiring tools
- 00:22:56 – Satellites caused misses
- 00:24:29 – VR headsets to be used in hospital wards
- 00:26:14 – 5 fun and quirky sites
- 00:28:18 – What to do if YouTube detects an ad blocker
- 00:30:02 – How to make a spaceflight reservation
- 00:30:20 – When will Ariane 6 fly?
- 00:31:18 – A solar storm is due to hit Earth
- 00:32:47 – Lamborghini\’s last remaining gas guzzlers
- 00:33:26 – ID Buzz
- 00:34:18 – NASA probe has been revealing images for 14 years
- 00:35:31 – Spacecraft makes its closest approach to the Sun
- 00:36:23 – Tesla Full Self-Driving will arrive \”later this year\”
- 00:37:24 – Consumers are making \”significant cutbacks\” for tech purchases
- 00:38:15 – Bluesky offering custom domains
- 00:39:45 – Twitter threatens to sue Meta