As expected, Motorola last night refreshed its smartphone line-up with new versions of the Moto X and Moto G plus a new Bluetooth earpiece called Hint. First impressions are that they’ve kept the good bits and bumped the spec with bigger screens (5.2″ 1080 HD on the X) and faster processors (2.5 GHz quad core in the X). The edges of the phone are now finished in metal too, giving a more upmarket impression.
For UK Motorola fans, the good news is that Moto Maker is going to be available so we’ll get the wide range of colours and materials. Best of all there’s a new leather back which looks very luxurious. If you don’t use a case for your phone, this is definitely the one to get. Motorola has announced the UK availability and pricing as below.
- 16 GB in black, leather and bamboo
- Starting from £419.99
- Available from Amazon and Phones 4u from the end of September
- Black and white
- Starting from £144.99
- Available from Amazon and Phones 4u from 5th September
- Motorola Shells will be available from October
- Gray leather and black leather
- Starting from £199.00
- Available from O2, Tesco, Amazon, Phones 4u and John Lewis from early October
- Moto Maker 16GB – starting from £419.99
- Moto Maker 16GB with wood or leather – starting from £439.99
- Moto Maker 32GB – starting from £459.99
- Moto Maker 32GB with wood or leather – starting from £479.99
- Available from end of September
- Moto Hint will come to UK in the coming months. Details to be confirmed.
I’d say the Moto X is a strong contender to be my next phone, but it’ll be up against the next Nexus device. Hopefully I’ll get a review unit in the not-too-distant future.