Ford introduced the 2015 Ford F-150 pickup truck at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this week. The new pickup has the looks of Ford’s Atlas Concept truck from last year. Ninety-three percent of that new body is made from a sort of aluminum alloy that shave 700 lbs from the total weight of the truck. On top of that, the new body should be immune to rust and resistant to dents and dings.
The 2015 Ford F-150′s will also get a new EcoBoost 2.7L V-6. Ford has not giving the performance numbers for this new engine yet,
“No one’s ever built a six-cylinder engine like this,” said Raj Nair, group vice president of global product development. “It combines a host of advanced technologies found throughout the industry to create one of the most technically advanced and efficient engines ever designed.”
Engines for 2015 will be a choice of a new naturally aspirated 3.5-liter V6 as standard, The new 2.7L EcoBoost V-6 and The 5.0-liter V8. The 6.2-liter V8 will no longer be offered on the F-150.
Other new Features in the new F-150 inculde
- 360-degree camera view, using exterior cameras to create a bird’s-eye view of the truck to help the driver park, maneuver in tight spots and navigate down narrow roads and trails
- Integrated loading ramps, which enable easy loading of ATVs, motorcycles and mowers
- BoxLink™, which is a combination of metal brackets and custom cleats used to secure a variety of accessories in the cargo box, from ramps to storage bins to bed dividers
- LED headlamps and taillamps, which provide excellent nighttime visibility
- Trailer hitch assist, a new rear view camera feature that adds a dynamic line based on steering wheel angle in the display to help customers line up truck and trailer without requiring a spotter or having to get out of the vehicle
- Smart trailer tow module, using an all-new smart trailer tow wiring harness that helps identify and inform the driver of potential trailer connectivity issues, burned or unlit trailer marker lamps, and brake light and trailer battery faults
- Remote tailgate, allowing for the tailgate to be locked, unlocked and released with the key fob – eliminating manual locking and increasing convenience and security. The tailgate also is damped, dropping down, hands-free, to a flat position when opened
- High-wattage power outlets (400 watts, 110 volts) in the cab, allowing drivers to easily charge corded tools, battery chargers or mobile devices on-site or while driving
- LED spotlights on sideview mirrors, which provide powerful, durable and bright lighting around the truck exterior
- Latest EcoBoost® technology in an all-new, even more efficient 2.7-liter EcoBoost engine that features extremely high output and lightweight design
- Next-generation tailgate step, which is now fully integrated inside the tailgate and virtually invisible when not in use
- New 8-inch LCD productivity screen in the instrument panel, which includes updated truck apps – from fuel economy to towing tips – and the ability to create a customized home screen for customers to access their most frequently used apps in one place
- LED lighting embedded in the walls of the cargo box, which brightly illuminates the box interior to help customers quickly find tools or other items
- Rear under-seat storage in F-150 Super and Crew cabs, providing hidden storage for valuables. Two storage bins also are located underneath the rear seats
- Boxside step, now available for the short 5.5-foot box
All in all, it looks as though the new F-150 is going to be a great upgrade of the best selling pickup truck in the US.
For more information see Ford’s 2015 F-150 page