Google Reader – WTF Google?

Posted by geeknews at 12:39 AM on March 14, 2013

unquotable sign2Those that know how I produce and get ready for my Podcast are asking me tonight what I am going to do now that Google has announced the Death of Google Reader. My first reaction was laden with swear words. The ability for me to put Geek News Central together, and be organized in 90 minutes was largely the way Google Reader feed the news to me.

A lot of folks are scrambling tonight, and frankly I don’t have the heart to start looking for a new solution yet. It’s like my dog just died :(

Some are saying switch to Flipboard, my reaction to that is pretty simple NOT! Great for casual usage but not for a tech geek needing to organize for a podcast/ I need something for the desktop that is lean and mean. Some are saying Feedly.com, in the initial round they are high on the contention list. They have to get themselves dis-engaged from the Google Reader API though and the time clock is ticking.

I care about RSS a great deal, it is how the podcasting community distributes podcasts. Without RSS we would be no better off than we where in 2004. Google simply hates RSS, they have never embraced it. Hell they have let Feedburner fall into a state of dis-repair, for those that where stupid enough to use it in the first place I would be scared to death. But I hope they all learn their lessons, and start controlling their own feed instead of letting some third-party man-handle it. For goodness sakes run from services like feedblitz, who in my opinion is preying on folks scared Feedburner is gonna get whacked.

So tonight, for the Google brass that killed Google Reader…… Well you know what being given the middle finger stands for don’t yea.

Image: Middle Finger by BigStock

1. From hawaii at 12:55 am on March 14, 2013

Both Feedly and TheOldReader seem like pretty solid alternatives, the former well into building its own infrastructure to replace Reader for both users and apps using the Google Reader API, and the latter designed by people that loved the great golden age of Google Reader.

I use Reader every day and panicked upon this news, but spending the evening in Feedly (TheOldReader is, sadly, struggling under the crunch) has assuaged much of my fears. You can indeed use either, I think, as part of your workflow to create notes for your show.

2. From imjay07 at 12:59 am on March 14, 2013

Google Reader – WTF Google?: Those that know how I produce and get ready for my Podcast are asking me tonight … http://t.co/8d70CRy0W1

3. From Ralph Becker at 1:12 am on March 14, 2013

Ralph Becker liked this on Facebook.

4. From Edward Spodick at 1:13 am on March 14, 2013

Edward Spodick liked this on Facebook.

5. From LuzieNews at 1:30 am on March 14, 2013

Google Reader – WTF Google? http://t.co/Lx2jSEJdwp

6. From Peter Galiba at 3:00 am on March 14, 2013

Feedly.com?

7. From Peter Galiba at 3:42 am on March 14, 2013

Peter Galiba liked this on Facebook.

8. From John Meadows at 3:42 am on March 14, 2013

John Meadows liked this on Facebook.

9. From George McNally at 3:59 am on March 14, 2013

I don’t understand their reasoning……sometimes I think the folks at Google out-think themselves.

10. From Joe Fusco at 4:20 am on March 14, 2013

I use an iPad app to prep for Two Rambling Idiots Podcast… And it uses Google reader as a back end. Feeling your fear, brother.

11. From geekofthenorth at 4:42 am on March 14, 2013

Google Reader – WTF Google? » Geek News Central http://t.co/yKbGcLA5Hv via @geeknews

12. From Joe Fusco at 5:58 am on March 14, 2013

Joe Fusco liked this on Facebook.

13. From Pete at 9:09 pm on March 14, 2013

I was also shocked. Been a long time user of Google Reader capabilities to keep my news and podcast subscriptions sync’d across several devices. I alos use iGoogle as a landing page for my browsers across several computers. Gonna be hard to find a replacement.

14. From GNC #843 Reader Rant | GNC Show Notes at 1:04 am on March 15, 2013

[...] me in To. Google Reader #1 (Idiots) Google Reader #2 (Destroyer) Google Reader #3 (Alternative) Google Reader #4 (What I really feel) Google Reader #5 (Fallout) Google Reader #6 (Digg) OS X Upgrade. New Nuke Power Plant. Crying [...]