Today Sony announced a new waterproof version of their popular Handycam video camera. It won’t just withstand a little splashing from the poolside, but can actually work while submerged. Don’t expect to take it scuba diving, but a snorkeling trip will be just fine, since it’s maximum rated depth is 5 meters (about 16 feet).
The new camera packs a “a high-quality G Lens”, 10x optical zoom, 17x extended zoom, 120x digital zoom, MPEG4-AVC/H.264 AVCHD video formats, 1080p and 720p video shooting, 20.4 megapixel 16:9 still images, built-in GPS, and is Memory Stick Micro and Micro SD/SDHC compatible.
- Exmor R™ CMOS sensor captures beautiful Full HD 50p video, even in low light
- G Lens with 10x optical zoom (Extended Zoom 17x) and 29.8mm wide angle
- Optical SteadyShot with Active Mode for clearer footage when walking or zooming
- Detail-packed still photos up to 20.4 megapixels
- Intelligent AUTO adjusts settings for great results every time
- 7.5cm/3″ Xtra Fine LCD touch-panel
There was no word yet on pricing, but the Waterproof Handycam should be available somtime around mid-May.