I try not to give too much love to any one single website, but this is too good to resist. Smashing Magazine have a great article listing some of the best retro and DOS games which are now available on-line, some as downloads, some online. As far as I can tell, all the games are legitimate, but use your own judgement.
The games include (and my progress in them when they first came out.)
- Prince of Persia – completed.
- Lemmings – completed (and Oh No! More Lemmings).
- Pac-man – can it ever be completed?
- SimCity – thousands of hours wasted!
- Secret of Monkey Island – never really played it.
- Leisure Suit Larry – man, I played this and several sequels to death.
- Doom I/II – completed, but lost interest with Quake.
- Micro-Machines – even have this on my Playstation 2.
- Dune II – the precursor to Command and Conquer, Total Annhilation, Z and a thousand other strategy games. I loved Total Annhilation and Z.
- Wing Commander – I, II and III completed. Didn’t get far in WC Armada.
- Worms – best played against your mates. Watch them suffer.
and loads more.
These were the games of my youth and it’s fantastic to see them getting a second life.