FTC v J.K. Publications Inc

Posted by geeknews at 5:29 PM on June 19, 2009

I received a check in the mail today for a whopping $27.68 for fradulent web billing activity that happened back in 1998. I initially thought the check was a scam but went to the FTC website and found that indeed the check was legitimate. The story on the FTC website is pretty amazing. The thing that really blows me away is I have moved 4 times since 1998 how in the world did the FTC find me. Even more incredible is that the FTC was finally able to recover money and over 400,000 people are getting checks for around $30.00

I wonder how much I lost initially? Time to dig bank statments out from the time period in question.

1. From Ray at 5:49 am on June 20, 2009

I got one too. Still suspicious.

2. From geeknews at 10:02 am on June 20, 2009

Read the FTC article on the FTC site clears up any doubts

3. From Dave at 1:44 am on June 21, 2009

I wouldn’t say “the FTC article on the FTC site clears up any doubts” – “clearing up doubts” would involve the FTC explaining why there is no specific accounting for the refund amounts (they’re satisfied justice is done by virtually leafleting the public with these checks?), why the wording on the checks is so appallingly amateur-scammer, and why they didn’t subsequently specifically apologize for not getting someone with some business/legal writing skills to to edit that text before it went to print. From seeing people’s responses on line, hundreds or thousands of may have figured the SETTLEMENT was a scam and decided to shred their checks – solely as a result of the FTC’s tacit approval of this grade-D presentation. It doesn’t help that they sound as if they’re not sure even how much money they have in the pot to pay out – (“…Please cash the enclosed check no later than August 10, 2009. After this date, your check could bounce [sic] and you could be charged a bank fee.” This in boldface, no less? Ummm…/your/ check bounces? And then *I* get charged a fee? What, because… my balance was so low that I was counting on your $27.68 to keep above water?

Maybe the FTC gets to add to their budget whatever funds aren’t distributed?

4. From Gary at 11:59 am on June 21, 2009

Todd,

It was easy for them to locate you. You do file a tax return through the IRS each don’t you? This is just a case of one Government agency talking to antoher.

5. From C. J. Carter at 11:30 am on July 15, 2009

I received two (2) checks at two different address’ – both for $27.68. I’ve been watching for scam updates and have yet to find any mention on snopes.com.

I don’t believe one can be charges a fee for a NSF check issued buy another party. You would have to return the money obviously – a wash.

6. From John Mueller at 5:09 am on July 16, 2009

I received a check for $ 27.68 as well and I took it to Chase and they called Bank of the West and verified that there were funds and the check did clear when I deposited it. The lady at Chase did say that the Bank of the West employee she talked to did mention it was part of a settlement. –John