I Had a Dell Recall Battery? An Ubuntu 9.04 Feature Told Me So.

Posted by J Powers at 3:04 PM on May 7, 2009

This might be another good reason to install Ubuntu 9.04:

Information from Ubuntu that My Battery is under recall

Information from Ubuntu that My Battery is under recall

I looked at the battery, then called up the Dell recall list. Sure enough – that battery was listed. Interestingly enough, I’ve had this D600 for a while now and there has been no problems up until a week ago when the battery wouldn’t take a charge. Since I usually have this machine plugged in, I never thought twice about it.

The Ubuntu 9.04 was pretty easy to install on the Dell. I still need to fix the wireless, however all other items seem to function normally.

I will get the battery in the mail soon, along with that DVD+-RW Lightscribe and extra memory I just ordered for it. RAWK!

1. From Paul Westbrook at 5:25 pm on May 7, 2009

What package presented the message? Was it the standard Guidance Power Manager that presented it?

2. From David Gerard at 4:10 pm on May 8, 2009

That could be the best ever reason to install Ubuntu! Do please let us know what package determined this and told you :-)

3. From Links 08/05/2009: Dell and Android on Sub-notebooks? | Boycott Novell at 6:53 pm on May 8, 2009

[...] I Had a Dell Recall Battery? An Ubuntu 9.04 Feature Told Me So. This might be another good reason to install Ubuntu 9.04: [...]

4. From David Gerard at 12:44 pm on May 9, 2009

I asked around. It’s apparently been a standard part of GNOME Power Manager for the last three years!

The battery lists are kept under /usr/share/hal.

Here’s the blog post where the guy started the implementation.

So tell all your friends: Linux kicks everything else’s arse in customer service!

5. From Take another look at Linux « Limulus at 10:59 pm on May 12, 2009

[...] like watching a child growing up (there is of course room for improvement, but it’s getting excellent grades here and there [...]

6. From Neo at 3:18 pm on May 14, 2009

You can thank Red Hat for working on this. Richard Hughes who maintains gnome-power-manager works for Red Hat.