Gizmodo should be banned from all Media Events!

Posted by geeknews at 10:03 PM on January 11, 2008

Andy McCaskey and I just spent a week in Vegas working CES. We busted our butts did not get much sleep in fact from Monday to Thursday it was a whole 14 hours for me.

We spoke to hundreds of vendors and were well received by all. Every booth we went to we were welcomed with open arms.  The vendors gave us access to Program Managers, Engineers, Product Development Teams, CEO’s etc..

We were invited to dinner by several groups in no pitch events that were really nice.

But what I have just seen on Gizmodo makes me really mad. A number of us have worked hard for a number of years to build the trust and gain acceptance in this show. We have had to provide examples of our content from previous years to get access to separate events like Show Stoppers.

We came and we worked, we did not Party we worked like dogs and to find out that some Gizmodo staff sabotaged a vendors booth at CES makes me sick to my stomach.

What a bunch of Amateurs, you have been invited to the event, they have given you credentials, you have been allowed access to a special lounge for the event to do work from an then you pull a stunt like this.

I say ban Gizmodo from every event that they want to cover in 2008. Many of us have worked this show on our own dime, and do not need some punks causing bloggers to get a bad name. My expenses to CES were at least $4000.00 alone that I paid out of pocket. This act can set the good will of companies towards podcasters and bloggers back a long way.

Gizmodo you deserve any punishment that is dished out. I hope Motorola, CEA takes legal action against you! [Stupid Gizmodo]

1. From Jimw at 11:34 pm on January 11, 2008

Todd, you and Andy did a great job at CES. The back channel was very interesting. And I look forward to your videos that are coming. You are right. Gizmodo should be banned. Those companies that are there must have spent thousands of dollars to be there. Thanks for this blog post.

2. From Nickie at 4:01 pm on January 12, 2008

Right on! I’m a college student, and as a demographic, we’re always accused of doing stupid things. Quite frankly, I didn’t see the humor others did. Your excellent work will build a lot of good will, but their pranks will get them no where. I hope that those making the decisions keep your work in mind in deciding how to treat bloggers. That said, Gizmodo should be banned as you said.

3. From John Meadows at 6:11 am on January 13, 2008

Todd I can understand your frustration — childish stunts like this will just all MSM to claim their stereotypical views of bloggers and podcasters as not real journalists are justified.

Gizmodo was profoundly selfish, and deserve to spend some “time in the corner.”

4. From Peter J at 11:34 am on January 14, 2008

I think it’s stupid to act like a moron at any event. It’s even more stupid to do this at CES. When NBC and Brian Williams and a ton of other larger Media, Podcasters and Bloggers are at these events broadcasting and blogging, why would anybody try to get banned by being stupid?

The only thing that creeps like this do is get everybody else banned. I think they should be banned from every conference for the next few years. Act like the NCAA does when a school, a few players, or a coach screws up. It might not be fair, but they punish the entire school for a few years. This is what should happen in this case. Ban them from every conference until 2010 or something.

Otherwise you start to get into the issue of many of these events just not allowing in your avg small time blogger or podcaster.

5. From Al at 1:07 am on January 16, 2008

You should remove that link. They pulled that stunt to get page views. Dont help them.

I stopped reading gizmodo over a month ago. I couldn’t deal with the childish fanboyism. I couldn’t take seeing mobs of iPhones with ^_^ faces all the time.

The worst part is that the head of Gawker Media said he is proud of what gizmodo did. Brian Lam, their editor in chief, okay’d the stunt. The guy who did it, Brandon Lakely (sp?), bragged about how how he’s not a journalist, he just likes to make stupid videos. Then he went on Craigslist to sell his banned press pass.

Gizmodo are run by idiots and they cater to idiots.

Drop them from your feeds, get your gadget news somewhere else.

6. From Erwin Blonk at 1:26 am on January 16, 2008

That bad thing about the Gizmodo stunt is that the joke had no creativity to it. If you can push a button, you can do this.
    I don’t think there is much wrong with pulling a stunt on something like CES. But this was on par with a scriptkiddie doing a DoS attack.