Growing Criticism of Office 2007

Posted by todd at 1:59 PM on February 27, 2007

I am beginning to wonder if anyone is going to have anything positive to say about Office 2007 and primarily Outlook 2007. This is the first time I have sat on the fence after a initial release I am pretty happy at this point that I have not upgraded anything yet.  SpendMatters.com

1. From David Jones at 3:01 pm on February 27, 2007

Leo laporte has been praising office 2007 for a while on most of his podcast’s, but he is usually talking more about office, not outlook

2. From Jerry at 3:09 pm on February 27, 2007

I haven’t purchased them yet, but have been using the betas since they were 1st available. Personally, I love the Office 07 suite, with the Exception of Outlook. Outlook seemed to be very buggy, while the others, while still a little buggy, are more usable, and after the learning curve, have definitely helped with productivity, and are still powerful.

3. From Mack D. Male at 5:58 pm on February 27, 2007

I think Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 are amazing. Definitely worth the upgrade. You won’t go back after using the new versions.

Outlook, on the other hand, needs to be taken out back and given a good beating.

4. From Roger at 1:09 pm on March 23, 2007

I’ve found Outlook to be strangely buggy. I’m using it with the Business Contact Manager and it acts up every so often.

Yesterday it created a “reminder” for all of my emails out of thin air. It took quite a while to “dismiss” all of them (1300 or so).

Today when trying to view different folders it started saying that the “Business Contact Manager could not perform the function…..”.

Also I noticed that if anything other than IE7 is your default browser you will get a URL not found type error when clicking email links. I suppose this could be considered a “feature” though. :)

The other programs in the suite I haven’t had any problems with and I really like the new Word format.

5. From kadams at 1:12 pm on February 2, 2008

Outlook doesn’t play nice with Vista. After much searching for a solution to two issues that arose to slow Outlook start to a crawl -
    1. business contact manager can’t find database
    2. windows search protocol has stopped working

I found Outlook doesn’t even have Vista as a choice for OS use. the XP box is checked – as packaged with new computer.

Finally found some blurb about Windows Mail. Ok, I cry uncle and am switching to Windows Mail just to avoid the headaches.

6. From kadams at 1:12 pm on February 2, 2008

1. business contact manager can’t find database
    2. windows search protocol has stopped working

7. From CB at 10:55 am on August 12, 2008

Office 2007 is a disaster that completely disregards end-user behavior patterns by completely revamping the user interface. It’s no more intuitive than 2003 and far more intrusive as far as space. Typically of Microsoft, 2007 removes certain features that you’ll have to upgrade to Vista (that other recent Redmond disaster) to obtain, making 2007 a way to subtly pressure users to change OS.

The people at Apple have been very upbeat these last two years. Why? Vista and Office 2007 are putting them back in the game. Microsoft needs to abandon both and get back on the XP/2003 track with the same speed they dumped Windows ME. I’m one of many users who will ignore Vista and 2007 as long as possible. I have to use 2007 at work, but I will NEVER purchase a copy for home. I’ll switch to Open Office first.

8. From Daniel at 11:57 am on November 5, 2008

My employer has switched entire office to 2007. On the whole, the employees are not pleased. I am in my 60s. I find it difficult to find things with all the light pastel shades. The clarity and contrast is lacking.

There are too many bars with too many pictures (icons) showing too much information…most of which is not used. The screens are cluttered, it is difficult to find things. Many icons are so small that I and others have missed even seeing them, until they were pointed out.

Overall, this is an expensive geeky program that costs a lot of money for basically typing and sending e-mails. Whoever designed this program was lacking in common sense. Perhaps that is why I still run 98 at home with vintage Office.

Dan