SixApart finally taking heat on MovableType

Posted by todd at 3:27 PM on February 24, 2007

When I re-launched this site I did so with the intent of giving MovableType six more months to get their act together. To be honest with you I probably should have ditched the application some time ago.

It has been obvious for a couple of years that SixApart simply does not care about those of us using the application. After all why work on something that probably does not pay them very much. The wordpress folks have simply destroyed their market share and they have a community of real developers, the thing wordpress is doing right is listening to their users. This is something that SixApart has blown it on.

Today this blog runs on a high end dedicated server and yet at times the CPU peaks out because of the 50,000 plus comment spams attempts each day. When they announced FastCGI support with the latest update my server admin who knows Fedora like the back of his hand was unable to get it running, after about 8 hours of work I told him to forget it.

If he had problems I can only imagine that very few sites have been able to actually put FastCGI into operation.

Anil Dash at SixApart claims they are taking feedback from the community. The first question I have is where the hell is this supposed community? I am in the MT community message boards and I am subscribed to their blog but I don’t see them reaching out. For him to say they are reaching out to the community is BS.

The only way they ever respond to the community is when we bitch publicly and then they come out and do some damage control. I am pretty sick of it and the clock is ticking before I take my web developers advice and move away from this platform completely.

Add my name to the ranks of Bloggers who are beyond frustrated with MovableType and SixAparts lack of movement forward. Corante

1. From ainanet at 3:32 pm on February 25, 2007

WordPress and/or Drupal is waiting for you. I tried MT a long long time ago and hated it so much I have never looked back.

WORDPRESS, WORDPRESS, WORDPRESS!!

Good Luck

2. From Jay at 11:25 pm on February 25, 2007

Try taking a look at Joomla! (http://www.joomla.org/) It’s a full CMS sure, but there are plug-ins to enable podcasting and such. It’s also open source. :)

I love my WordPress blog, but sometimes I wish they’d let us users have a rest from upgrading.

Fireball

3. From Sketchee at 11:44 pm on February 25, 2007

I used to use movable type, but when they went commercial they burned the community. They had an third part excellent spam reduction software … bought the guy out. Then told us we didn’t need spam software anymore and that it was unnecessary with the latest version of MT. My blog continued to be overrun with it. The community left MT about the same time as I did. They never recovered for the casual user as they’re focus is entirely on the commerical blog community now anyway.

I went to wordpress. All of my problems were solved, it’s much easier to use while I needed to hack apart mt to do the same things. Akismet has stopped all of my spam problems 100%.

4. From Ben Borges at 12:47 pm on February 26, 2007

Joomla or Drupal for the best of CMS outhere and WordPress or even better B2evolution.net if you want a serious multi Blog multi-user engine in your back. i’v tested several cms/blog application but MT never got me :)

5. From Mike Wills at 1:13 pm on February 26, 2007

Todd, join this group. This is where I have seen a good amount of the traffic before.