Podcast Community Losing Listeners because of Vista!

Posted by todd at 1:16 PM on February 8, 2007

I have been getting reports over the past week of listeners are running into trouble automatically down-loading shows because stand alone Podcatchers like Juice are no longer functional in the new operating system.

The lack of Podcatcher development in the Podcast Community has been a very sore subject with me for a long time. The community cut their own throat, in not keeping their code and directories current when Apple iTunes become the default down-load application for many.

The simple fact is that much of the once evolutionary software has become abandonware.

I am putting out a appeal to the developers of Juice, Doppler and other PodCatcher applications to release the complete source code so that applications can be updated to be Vista ready.

I would be willing to help steward that development and provide some seed money to help facilitate the updates.

1. From Robert Banghart at 1:44 pm on February 8, 2007

Hi Todd:

After reading your post, I think it is clear that the problem lies with the developers of podcatcher applications and not with Vista. As a result, I wonder why you choose your title as you did. Shouldn’t it be something like, “Podcast Community Loosing Listeners because of Abandon Ware Podcatcher Applications!”

I’ve used various beta versions of Vista for over a year and now have Vista Ultimate. My listening to podcasts over the past year has skyrocketed. What I have done is abandon the abandon-ware. I don’t use any of them anymore and I have gigabytes of podcasts.

I respect your calling on the podcatcher application developers to pick up the pace. If they don’t, the fault lies with them and not with Vista.

2. From Mike Wills at 2:07 pm on February 8, 2007

The OPEN-SOURCE project is here, we just need someone to take charge.

3. From Mike Wills at 2:07 pm on February 8, 2007

The OPEN-SOURCE project is here, we just need someone to take charge.

4. From Keith at 2:17 pm on February 8, 2007

For the record, jPodder works great on Vista. Download the stable build at http://www.jpodder.com. Be sure to be on the latest version of the Java VM from SUN. http://www.sun.com

It is now my favorite podcast receiver for windows.

5. From Todd Cochrane at 7:40 pm on February 8, 2007

Problem is the open-source code does not include the interface shell.

6. From Knox at 6:46 am on February 9, 2007

Hey, I’m using Juice and it works just fine on Vista. No problems whatsoever.

7. From Richard Querin at 3:39 pm on February 9, 2007

Hi Todd,

A quick search on sourceforge.net for “podcast aggregator” yields 214 results. I’m not so sure there is a shortage. For sure the vast majority are using ITunes, but I don’t think everyone’s given up.

Personally, I’m running Juice on my Ubuntu Edgy box. Works great for me.

And I would be amiss if I didn’t point out bashpodder as well. ;)

8. From otakucode at 11:20 pm on February 10, 2007

The fact that Visual Studio has a lot of compatibility issues with Vista itself is probably contributing to this problem.

I share your concern, though. Podcatcher development seemed to stall after iTunes came around… which is really quite disappointing given that iTunes very obviously has some drawbacks. It eats system resources for lunch and makes something as simple as updating a few podcasts a slow process even on high end systems.

9. From Robert Banghart at 8:13 am on February 11, 2007

Hi Todd:

I see from Chris Pirillo’s post at http://chris.pirillo.com/2007/02/10/how-to-make-juice-22-work-in-windows-vista/ that Randall Lind sent the two of you instructions on how to use Juice 2.2 in Windows Vista by using one of the application compatibility tools built into Vista for just such purposes until the application developers get around to doing their jobs.

I don’t use juice anymore so I haven’t tried Randall’s solution or any of the other capability features built into Vista discussed at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/windowsvista/security/application_compatibility.mspx .

You might want to let your readers know about these proposed solutions and resources in a new post so that you do not continue to mislead them by your alarmist title here.

10. From Robert Banghart at 8:13 am on February 11, 2007

Hi Todd:

11. From Stymyx at 9:22 am on February 28, 2007

@knox,

What settings are you using with Vista? Are you running it as a Standard Account user or an Admin Account user? Have you disabled Vista’s User Account Control altogether? Are you using XP-compatibility mode?

Or, the short question: What did you do to make it work?

When I run Juice from my Standard account with XP-compatibility mode turned on, I get a message saying to check the juice.exe.log for details.

The log says:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File “gui.py”, line 4, in ?
    File “iPodderGui.pyc”, line 3573, in main
    File “ipodder\configuration.pyc”, line 468, in __init__
    File “os.pyc”, line 154, in makedirs
    OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘C:\\Users\\Jeff\\My Documents\\My Received Podcasts’

12. From Carson at 1:03 pm on May 14, 2008

Hi, try Mediafly SyncClient (www.mediafly.com/syncclient). It works on Vista without anything special (but not 64 bit). And it can act as a downloader or sync your podcasts with iTunes or any MTP-enabled media player (e.g. Sansa, iriver, etc.)

You can import your OPML file via the “add feed” link at the bottom of mediafly site. Select the bulk import option.