Digg Podcast Portal worthless to most Podcasters!

Posted by todd at 3:35 PM on January 27, 2007

When I saw Digg add a Podcast Portal I was pretty happy about it, but as the weeks have went on I can see that it is no better than iTunes, Podcast Alley or any of the other sites that rely purely on show popularity to present podcasts to listeners. When the site launched I was excited that they had jumped on board and even encouraged my listeners to Digg the show

Lately though I have come to the conclusion that for all the traffic Digg gets very little if any of that traffic in the way of downloads or pure referals comes from that site.

It should come as no surprise that Diggnation has 14979 diggs and dominates the top of their own portal. You also have a handful of shows that continue to dominate the top of the list as they do on all other sites that have this vote for me mechanism.

Don’t get me wrong some of those shows are really great and deserve the attention they get, but for the average podcast producer these sites continue to add little value to those listed beyond the front page.

I looked at the stats on inbounds from Digg, the inbounds are a total joke and I highly doubt the Digg podcast site has contributed to a single new listener on my show. In fact if you found our show on Digg and became a subscriber drop me a line. This article and the nature of it will likely drive a 1000 times more traffic to them then they will ever drive to me.

The same goes from other podcast directories that continue to do nothing but promote the same podcast month after month on their front pages. Not sure about you but thats become pretty boring to me, those type of site do nothing to help potential Podcast listeners find content that they are interested in.

The fan boy directories will be self perpetuating and the majority of podcaster will learn that the vote for me over here approach to expanding their listener audience will not help build audience numbers for those podcasts that are down in the grass. Sadly the podcasts that are on the back channels of these vote for me sites are adding real value to those subject specific audiences yet get very little link love from said directories.

My advice to podcasters is this, look at the directories you are listed in and figure out if they are doing anything to build your audience or giving you equal exposure on the front of their respective websites. If they are not find sites that are and support them in your shows.

Disclaimer: As most of you know I do run a Podcast Community and my ideology is pretty skewed in trying to give each podcaster a equal shake at getting exposure. After all I am a podcaster first and foremost and like to think I fight for those shows that are terrific but do not get exposure on fan boy type sites.

1. From Digger at 6:34 pm on January 27, 2007

2. From David Jones at 11:26 am on January 28, 2007

I think with a site like Digg, where there is a social aspect to it, it becomes like how real life is socially. You have clicks, you have the “A” crowd, the popular people. and most of all you have a bunch of followers that want to be “cool” along with everyone else and do what the “A” crowd or Cool people are doing. Thats why some people can have a article submitted to Digg and get tons of Diggs right off the bat and some may not. Also is the same reason why Diggnation and a lot of the techtv related podcast are at the top of the list. The majority of Diggs, core audience are probably made up of Techtv fans.

As far as Podcast directories, yea I think this problem exist in just about every directory. the popular cast are always on the front page and anything beyond that you have to really search…sometimes having to type in the exact name of the podcast to find info on it. I dont neccesarily think its a Digg problem, I just think that its a side effect of social websites.

I do like how blubrry is pretty equal as far as your chances to get on the front page, but that has a side effect also…if you are first in a line of people that uploaded your newest episode in the same time frame, you may get bumped pretty quickly (not sure how it works). but then again, theres more to blubrry than just a place to list your cast. (Im a proud member myself)

3. From Jacob Wyke at 6:19 pm on January 28, 2007

Yeah I agree that its totally pointless and I really dont know what they are trying to achieve with it.

Its a completely static list of podcasts since no new ones will ever make it onto the front page, and appears to just be there to stop people posting podcasts into the main digg area (just like moving the videos to their own section).

4. From Sam at 6:20 pm on January 30, 2007

I totally agree! Diggnation is fine, but it is useless because they do not reset or delete podcasts. It should be most dugg in 24 hours or something…

5. From kopper at 9:38 am on October 30, 2007

I totally agree! In fact, I just added a new story to Digg that explains another reason why their podcast directory is worthless. Click here (and please digg it while you’re at it):

Thanks,