Apple takes Cheap Shot at Microsoft after shipping iPod with Virus!

IpodApple first of all just like any other manufacture of goods you should be ashamed of yourself for not having stronger quality assurance. This seems to be a running issue recently Allowing a virus that effects Windows users to be shipped on iPod’s is beyond unacceptable.

It’s bad enough that this has happened, and then you take a cheap shot at Microsoft on your website in reporting the problem you created. You will not win any friends in the Windows PC community low blow commentary you have on your support website. For those that have not seen the remarks I am referring to that Apple made check out a portion of Apple’s response to shipping iPods with a Windows Virus on them.

“The iPod nano, iPod shuffle and Mac OS X are not affected, and all Video iPods now shipping are virus free. As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it.”

It is obvious that Apple does not respect their Windows customers. I can guarantee you that the majority of people that have iPods have a Windows computer at home, and at work. The arrogance of this post reflects the demeanor of Apple at this time. Screw the customer and laugh in there faces! That’s the way it has been with the MacBook issue and now this. [Apple]

Comments

1. says

Hey Todd,
    You hit the nail on the head. You’re absolutely correct, Apple doesn’t respect windows users. I switched to mac a few years ago and I can still remember the biggest problem. Macs don’t run windows programs. The only reason I decided to get one is because of “Office for Mac”. Apple endorses this program and slashes its maker in public comments and on television commercials. Now with boot camp, they even endorse Windows. No they dont “support” it, but if they thought Windows was so horrible, why did they let it “ruin” their computers. I think Apple is one of the greatest companies in the world, but they’ve made a mistake on this one. It’s hard to compete and do buisness with a competitor. I suggest doing buisness with them, and stop competeing; remember one doesn’t have to lose for the other to win. –Alex

2. monoclast says

You wrote: “It’s bad enough that this has happened, and then you take a cheap shot at Microsoft on your website in reporting the problem you created.”

3. says

Actually, Apple didn’t even put the virus there, it was a Chinese Manufacturer using Windows to format the iPods.

I’ve been a Windoze user for a long time. Not that I’m proud of it though. I hate M$ and it’s draconian policies and licenses. I would much rather run either a Mac or Linux. But Linux doesn’t run WoW reliably at this time, and Mac’s are just out of my price range right now. I’m saving my money though! Well, that and Leopard isn’t due until next year.

4. says

Right, Apple didn’t put the virus on the devices. But they have to make sure the iPods are shipped virus free. This means looking over the shoulders of the manufacturers then they have no choice.

Creative also had this issue a while back in Japan, it affected sales a little. Then there is the laughable MP3 thingy that McDonald’s is giving away that has malware on it. They too are standing up for something they have little control over.

It will be funny the day that Apples OS gets attacked severely with a virus. It will happen, it is just a matter of time.

5. cid92 says

“This is a stunning example of why Apple is completely justified in taking cheap shots at Microsoft. Microsoft deserves every single cheap shot it gets thrown its way – and then some. Let’s not forget we’re talking about a WINDOWS virus. Apple had nothing to do with making Windows viruses possible in the first place. So it’s *hardly* a problem Apple created. Who really created the actual problem? Microsoft – by creating (and consistency and repeatedly not fixing) an operating system that makes creating these Windows viruses childs play. But the Microsoft-loving, Windows-using crowd doesn’t want to admit that – instead, they’d much rather say it’s Apple who created the problem. Shrinks call that “denial”.”

So the onus is not on Apple to ENSURE that a product that they are shipping is problem and virus free? Please. While Windows users should be on the up and up in attempting to keep their machine as protected as possible, they sure as hell don’t expect a product that they pay good money for, like an iPod, to deliver a virus to their machine. It has nothing to do with Windows users being in “denial”. It’s about Apple taking responsibility for quality control checking their product. Period. If you really want to get into the name calling game, then read the post below mine. Apple makes a PROFIT from selling Office (the well hated MS application just in case you forgot) for Mac yet bashes Windows in their commercials. Some might call that “hypocrisy”.

6. Randy says

I just purchased an 80Gb Ipod a few days ago and registered it with Apple. The only way I found out about this problem was on this web site. I received nothing from Apple telling me there might be a problem…..that is reallly taking care of your customers. I am considering taking it back and going with another Mfgr.

Pretty lame customer support.

7. says

Apple spreads a Virus?

In case you hadn’t heard, there was a virus that shipped in some Apple Ipods recently. The virus only affects windows PC’s like most viruses. When I hear stories like that i usually don’t p …

8. says

“As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses”

9. cid92 says

“I agree with Apple. Microsoft ought to be doing more to combat viruses aimed solely at their products. It’s not a cheap shot. It’s a fact.”

So Apple holds absolutley no responsibilty in shipping a product that people pay good money for that is problem free? I said it before – yes, MS users need to be more dilligent in stopping attacks on their machines but anyone who buys a device like an iPod is not expecting the damn thing to come pre-shipped with a virus on it. If that were the case, I’ve got a 2GB USB drive for you….

It is Apple’s RESPONSIBILITY as a company to ENSURE that the product they are SELLING AND MAKING A PROFIT from meets their highest expectations and quality control standards. All this issue tells me is that Apple doesn’t really give a shit if their iPods ship with a virus. They just want the cash. And before you flame, after hating the iPod for the better part of two years I buckled, bought one (a mini) and I love the thing. No other product on the market, or coming to market (ie Zune), can beat it. I bought it based on the fact that Apple sells a good product. Shipping iPods with viruses makes me think they no longer quality control their product and may force me and other consumers to look at other options before settling on an iPod.

10. Pierre says

Why should Apple have to devote time and money to ensure that their products aren’t infected with windows viruses? They don’t spend any ensuring that they aren’t infected with Mac viruses and that is because they make their operating systems impervious to attacks. Maybe if windows devoted some more resources to this they wouldn’t have these issues?