Home front Update

Posted by todd at 9:37 PM on September 1, 2006

First I want to thank the 3000 plus people who sent condolences e-mail, voice mail and private phone calls. The outpouring of support has been unbelievable. There will be no way I will ever be able to answer all the e-mails but I do want to say Thank You, your support has been incredible.

As an update we arrived at my mothers home on Tuesday morning. The number of people that were their supporting her was awe inspiring. We all quickly got to work taking care of arrangements, not only did we have a funeral to plan with the myriad of details that need to be dealt with we also had a surviving niece in Intensive Care 3 plus hours away that even tonight is not out of the woods with significant spine, head and abdominal injuries. So your thoughts and prayers towards her recovery is appreciated.

This tragic event happened at the busiest time of the year for of my parents business, (they are produce brokers) with two coolers full of produce. The largest cooler is 64ft by 32ft and 18ft high and is nearly full of peaches, apples and pears which were all scheduled for delivery this week. With the largest delivery truck destroyed in the accident and with their operation having been a 2 man show, we now have a monumental task ahead of us in the coming days as we try to get the product delivered before it spoils in the bins and get cooler cleared before a 1000 bushels of fresh picked peaches arrive Tuesday.

As we have dealt with this loss as so many others have I must say I was nearly brought to my knees on Thursday when we had almost a 1000 friends, family, customers and of course family show up during the visitation period, it was an experience that I will never forget everyone waited for hours to talk to immediate family members. It really helped in the grieving process and reaffirmed what I already knew about my father.

As I close this out for now as we have a very long weekend ahead of us I again want to say thanks again for all the support and kind words. Hold your children tight and make sure that you make the best of every day that is given to you.

Todd…

1. From ajcannon at 6:10 am on September 2, 2006

Todd,

Thanks for the update and we’re still praying for y’all. I hope that you can get everything done on time. In the meantime if there is anything that you want done just let us know.

-Andrew

2. From MarkTheDaemon at 12:47 am on September 4, 2006

Todd,

It’s great to know you are doing ok and as i said before we are all praying for you and your niece for a speedy recovery. Again, if you need anything don’t hesitate to ask :-).

Mark

3. From Terry Floyd at 1:53 am on September 5, 2006

Todd: You have my deepest sympathy on your loss. Having lost my stepmother just a year and a half ago, I know what you must be going through. But the additional burden of having to deal with the family business must be very stressful. I love the GeekNews podcasts, but I can understand that you have to take some time off to deal with these issues. I know how important your family is to you, so that should be your first priority. I wish there was something I could do to help you out, but I am at a loss right now. GNC is a labor of love, but your family comes first, so don’t feel any obligation to get that 200th episode done in the midst of all the other things you have to deal with. Take care of your mom and your sister and your neice and all the people who need you now. Just know that we’re all thinking about you now and we’re supporting you in the only way we can.

Best of luck and give your family our condolences.

4. From madmari at 2:43 pm on September 5, 2006

Todd,
    My deepest sympathy for you and your family.

Mario

5. From tinfoil at 2:57 pm on September 6, 2006

I had to plan / arrange my estranged fathers funeral. I do not envy your situation and I know it is a very difficult one.

My condolences.

I appreciate that GN is a labour of love, but do try to take some time for yourself after this is all said and done.