Sometimes it sucks to be a Geek

My wife and I went to a work related party last night which turned out to be pretty boring. So much for the $70.00 spent on tickets. We left early and knew that the sitter was good to go decided to drop in on a friend of hers.

We get to her house and I am admiring her house and see a big Master Degree in Education hanging over her computer. I was surprised to see it actually as we have known her for a while and she had never mentioned it. Anyway to make a long story short she says hey my PC is having problems can you look at it.

You guessed it 2 hours later and much under breath cursing I give up and tell her I need to take it home or we can just pull the restore disk out and start from scratch. I get this deer in the headlights look when I explain that her computer has been hijacked and is infected with nearly every piece of spyware known to man.

1. Virus Definitions 2 years old
2. She had never run Windows Update.
3. Systems is plugged directly into cable modem
4. No Spyware detection software
5. No Firewall

Remember now she has a Masters Degree in Education. She commented I should open a business and fix peoples computers like hers. I guess my 21+ years working with advanced electronics now makes me qualified to fix computers. I suppose I could charge her $750.00 for a days worth of work. All I could do was smile and say drop it by the house and I will get it fixed for you…

All my wife could say when we left was sorry. I hate stupid educated people. Sometimes being a geek sucks.

Comments

1. zeppelin says

I feel for you man. I have fixed so many computers in this condition. I know that deer in the headlights look well. The one that gripes me the most is when I fixed it the second time. No updates had been installed for the adware detector in the last year and no virus updates either. If they had any concept of the value of my time….. oh well.

-zep

2. says

I know the feeling. i’m a web developer, but sometimes get roped into fixing other’s computers. now if they’re not family I recommend someone that they can pay to help them, as it’s not worth my time/effort anymore.

of course you can always buy this shirt so everyone gets the idea:
    No, I won’t fix your computer.

3. says

Yes I know how you feel, I often find friends computers in the most terrible of states simply because they have no knowledge about them. I feel its a waste of my knowledge/education asking me to spend hours on problems that require a lot less experience.

However, to call the woman stupid is a unfair misinterpretation. She simply is not educated in that particular field. We as IT people have no more right to call non-IT-savvy people stupid, than they do to call us ‘stupid teachers’/relevant field. I can understand perfectly why they don’t want to sink hundreds of hour into learning how to manage a computer in the real world, for the same reason I didn’t spend 300 hours reading a book on engine design before getting my drivers license.

I came from a physics background, before switching to IT, and while we generally accepted that 95% of the population couldn’t solve simple physics problems, we didn’t go around calling these people stupid because we knew it was not a fair evaluation. I was amazed though that so many IT geeks were arrogant enough to assume just that. At time I felt compelled to point out their weakness in solving ‘physicsy/real world’ style questions, which I saw with my own eyes, but I held my tongue as I knew it wasn’t a fair crtique; rather I told them just what I said here.

4. says

Kahless, I don’t agree.

No other complex tries to hide as much complexity as a computer does. Few things are more underestimated than computers. Few complex things are as heavily integrated with everyday life as computers are.

You got a drivers license after all before using your car. You got skiing classes before skiing on your own. You got swimming classes i n school (at least I did). Propably, if at all, you got walzer without lessons before dancing it.

But you’d ask for none of these services for free.

As much as I understood the original writer, it’s not about not knowing how to use her computer he complains her stupidity. It’s more about people complaining on IT, expecting all kind of things without the will to invest time to learn. And also, in that concrete evening, the lacking idea of how much that service usually costs, and when to consider it work.

5. raphb says

Kahless, I don’t agree.

But you’d ask for none of these services for free.

6. raphb says

(oh jesus, sorry, didn’t read the part on comment moderation! typekey also threw a few errors so I was kinda confused. first time i have to use the tk account..)