United Airlines about the Food and Service

Posted by geeknews at 5:30 AM on September 12, 2003

Being I am officially on vacation and sitting at our final destination drinking a cup of coffee and having got out of bed when I wanted to I had to reflect on yesterday nightmare trip.

We flew out of Honolulu at 8pm first going to LA. The service from the flight attendants and airline was poor they went through the main cabin 1 time with drinks and that was it. No food No snack nothing. Our next leg was Los Angles to Chicago. leaving at 7am and arriving at 1:30. Again the flight attendants went through the cabin 1 time and then they served what was supposed to be a continental breakfast. The Ham and Cheese sandwich they fed us was not fit for my dog. When my 5 year old boy turns down food you know it was horrendous. Then the final insult Chicago to Detroit with only 20 minutes to make it from gates that had to be the farthest distance apart we sat on the tarmac for 1 hour in sweltering heat because of supposed ATC delays. Then the pilot kept the flight attendants in there seats for the 1 hour trip..

No wonder people are pissed with the airlines. My wife being used to being taken care of correctly on JAL and ANA flights was horrified. Next time we will bring food and extra water. Being my wife was pregnant we ended up on the very last airplanes to not have extended foot room.

But from now on we will never fly United again back to American. The airlines just don’t get it. I can choose airline brands and all it takes is one bad experience to make me flip them the bird.

1. From james at 7:53 am on September 12, 2003

I fly on UA all the time and have had nothing but excellent experiences! I do not expect food on my flights at night. I dont think most people do anymore. You should alwyas ask before you book your flight. I dont think most airlines even serve food anymore. I fly on US AIrways and they sell food on their flights. The times have changed and people need to stop complaining about it. As long as my flights are on-time, friendly staff, and safe aircraft I’m happy! GOTO MCDONALDS!

2. From J at 9:09 am on September 12, 2003

Man thats a laugh! Yes times are changing! But the airlines must cater to all kinds of customers…not just business customers…

Its no wonder airlines like Singapore and Malaysia are considered best in the world compared to United Airlines!!

-J

3. From GeekNews at 10:44 am on September 12, 2003

Obviously the first poster has not flown with JAL, ANA, Singapore Airlines, Malaysia etc. The customer still comes first and the flight crew truly care about the passengers. Most US Airlines are in the cattle car business. Get in shut the hell up.

But on a 7 hour flight I don’t expect to have to go back to the flight attendant station and ask for water and get a dirty look. I always carry water but ran out on this flight. Night flights may not serve a meal but at least they bring drinks by form time to time.

Fly on JAL the differences are amazing.

4. From John in Japan at 3:34 pm on September 12, 2003

I have flown on United many times and had no complaints. On the other hand I also fly on ANA and JAL and can’t say they are much better. Food is all bad on airlines no matter which you fly.

5. From Darren at 8:45 am on September 15, 2003

I have flown on various Asian Airlines and the service , food and product is very good. One thing I will say about the North American airlines is that they really have turned air travel into bus travel. Even look at some of the terminals, you walk through your gate and you don’t really know if you are getting on a Boeing or a Greyhound Bus.

How about some pride in the airline you run?

6. From Darren at 8:45 am on September 15, 2003

How about some pride in the airline you run?

7. From mekio at 5:47 am on December 22, 2003

AIRLINE FOOD IS GREAT. I THINK THAT THE AIRLINES NEED TO INCREASE THE FOOD ON THE FLIGHTS ITS QUITE TASTY TO ME. PRESENTATION IS WONDREFUL.